Excellence in manufacturing and process design, unrivalled hygiene standards and a focus on ecologically and economically sustainable operation are essential elements for success in the food industry.
Community expectations and government regulations demand that the highest standards are set and maintained in the handling and production of food. Stakeholders in this industry are constantly under scrutiny and face complex challenges to meet these expectations. GHD offers considered solutions for the baking, dairy, beverage, confectionary and snack foods, seafood, fruit and vegetable, meat, seafood, cold chain, FMCG, pharmaceutical, biotechnical markets, and beyond.
Key areas that we focus on include:
- Building design – Our services cover all areas of building design including geotechnical, structural, architectural, and building services. We see geotechnical engineering as a science – the art of determining the properties of an unseen and variable material to produce structures that are safe, reliable and cost-effective. Our structural engineers technically assess, plan and deliver highly functional, cost-efficient and elegant structures for our clients across all industries.
- Food processing and manufacturing – Leveraging our considerable experience in the design and operation of a wide range of food industries, GHD provides comprehensive services ranging from planning, design and project management of new facilities, to the engineering of new and expanded plant and equipment.
- Industrial water and waste management – Our experienced team assesses and manages water and waste in industrial applications. We understand the increasing need to improve process and waste management, to develop site-specific solutions that are practical.
- Irrigation and the environment – Our engineers, scientists and planners can provide sustainable, cost-effective and innovative irrigation solutions that meet the needs of communities, industry and national policy and strategy. We also understand the impact that developments have on ecosystems, creating measures that mitigate environmental effects on land and water.
- Planning – Enhanced community and government expectations mean that land use planning systems are becoming increasingly complex. We work with clients to realise more sophisticated planning responses, which result in more effective land use and development outcomes.
- Regulatory compliance and planning – We have the experience and understanding of the regulations and requirements that are being imposed on the food industry and assist with obtaining permits and approvals, ensuring environmental compliance, safety and industrial hygiene, managing the requirements of permits, and reporting to government agencies.
- Transportation infrastructure – We understand that transport needs are inherently linked to land use; the two cannot be understood in isolation. Our integrated team offers advice and solutions related to the entire system, rather than one item in isolation. Our thinking incorporates an understanding of economic and financial factors impacting on efficient freight movement, such as road versus rail freight options.