Recent Trends in Canadian Manufacturing Presentation and Panel discussion
When: Thursday, March 24, 2016, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (noon)
Where: Best Western Plus Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre, 716 Gordon Street, Pinetree Room, Guelph, Ontario
On behalf of Statistics Canada, I would like to invite you to a presentation and a panel discussion entitled Recent Trends in Canadian Manufacturing. The Chief Statistician of Canada, Wayne R. Smith, will be hosting this half-day event on March 24 at the Best Western Plus Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre in Guelph, Ontario. The event is part of Talking Stats: A discussion series with StatCan being held across Canada in 2016.
The presentation will explore the industrial structure of the Canadian manufacturing sector and its evolution in recent years. Key topics will include trends in manufacturing sales, employment, profits, and input costs for manufacturing processes. The provincial distribution of manufacturing activities will also be discussed. In particular, the presentation will look at how key manufacturing industries have been faring since the recession.
The presentation will be followed by a panel discussion with experts on important issues facing the manufacturing sector, and audience questions. Joining us on our panel are:
- Kevin Hallahan, Director of Marketing, Linamar Corporation
- Brian Lewis, Assistant Deputy Minister and Chief Economist, Ontario Ministry of Finance
- Gerard Peets, Director General, Manufacturing and Life Sciences Branch, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Dr. David Prescott, Professor, Economics and Finance, College of Business and Economics, University of Guelph
- Michael Schimpf, Chief, Monthly Survey of Manufacturing, Manufacturing and Wholesale Trade Division, Statistics Canada
- Jeffrey Smith, Director, Manufacturing and Wholesale Trade Division, Statistics Canada (moderator)
The presentation and panel discussion will be in English, with simultaneous interpretation in French. Participants will be invited to ask questions in the official language of their choice. A continental breakfast will be served.
Please register no later than March 18, as space is limited.
Getting to the venue
The hotel is within a 15-minute walk from the University of Guelph and offers parking at no cost.
We sincerely hope you will join us in what will undoubtedly be an animated discussion on the topic of manufacturing statistics.